The 10k!

Description of your first forum.

Re: The 10k!

Postby sarah1 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:37 am

technically he may have been called Grant, but wih the Kiwi accent it always sounded like Grunt to me :D :D :D :D
sarah1

The Reluctant Jogger

Postby sarah1 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:01 pm

So tis done. the final jog before the Big Day. It didn't feel great so I'm hoping it means my next outig will be a goo one. tested the t shirt and no chafing to report.
See you all Sunday
Best of luck
xx
sarah1

Postby sarah1 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:17 pm

So. We did it! Well done everyone !! Everyone as far as I know completed the course for Rosie. And even poor Carey who had done her back in turned out to be a saving grace for Amy who somehow hadn't been entered even tho everyone thought she had so she was able to use Carey's number.
What an incredible turn out. Seeing everyone in their teeshirts was really something. A real mark of how Rosie generated that kind of committment from a field of fairly reluctant joggers on the whole. Of course there were some elite athletes amongst us, but most of us seemed to be doing it as something we had never contemplated doing before, as a tribute to Rosie and a way to raise some money in her name to improve the lot of some poor orphans in Africa. A legacy in her name.
The queue to the start seemed interminable. I hadn't anticipated that long long wait. The weather was on our side on the whole, being relatively cloud covered or shady for a lot of the way. I found it really hard to work out how I was doing as only managed to spot the 1K and 7K signs, so for most of the seemingly interminable middle bit i had no idea how far I'd got in the time. The temptation to sneak over to the other side of the road where the returning joggers were bounding along was really strong, but i steeled myself to keep going. How could i face people who had given me their hard earned cash if i had cheated? So I kept going. The gatorade was DISGUSTING. The only reason i had it was that I was gasping for some water and threw back a cup of the nearest drink.Nearly threw it straight back up again.
It was really great that people cheered us on and were able to call our names out because they were on our shirts. And even better when I realised i did know a few of them (Angela, Ellie, Charlie and William). It was really nice to have that support. Altho not the photos they took. They were just scary!
Managed to ask one of the final DJs to do a shout out for Rosie as we came back over Westmiinster Bridge and apparently sarah B and John D heard it.Not sure if anyone else did? But I was thinking about Rosie the whole way round and some people called out 'Keep going for Rosie'. And I did. I wish I'd never had to do the 10K. I wish Rosie hadn't died. But the 10K did give me something to channel some positive energy in to, both physically doing the training and mentally doing the fundraising.To help me think some chink of goodness will come out of this darkness. And it let me share some of Rosie with lots of my friends who otherwise would never have heard of her. So many of them went on her website and came to tell me what a fantastic girl she sounded and how talented she obviously was. And the fundraising efforts put me back in contact with peole I haven't seen for over 30 years. So Rosie did that too. And it will give me even more reasons to remember Rosie in the future - when ever anyone mentions the words 10K, jog, run, training, blog, bonnet (see posts passim), I will think of her. She will always be missed and never be forgotten. And she would have loved the post 10K barbecue and dance-off.
Thinking of you Rosie.
xxxxx
sarah1

Postby sarah1 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:32 pm

So here I am nearly 5 years after that last post and went for a 'jog' today. Probably the first time since I completed the 10K because I seriously don't enjoy it. And I only did it for her. It's the only time I have ever persevered at something I hated and wasn't good at. Because it was for Rosie. And today as I stepped out on the same route as I used so often in my training, I of course thought of her. As I do often, but she stayed with me for the duration. I didn't get distracted by work or conversation or entertainment. It was just me and Rosie. And the jogging was hard hard hard. And i had to walk half the time. I've had various injuries and unfitness levels are high so I struggled and wanted to give up within about two minutes. Literally. But I kept plodding on. Thinking of Rosie. It was the only thing keeping me going. She's still in our hearts.Still in our lives.xx
sarah1

Postby Georgie » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:48 pm

I just happened to be reading through this too as I've been looking at Rosie's website and her art. This website is such a great way to be able to access so much of Rosie's photos, art and memories - thank you so much to Bert for maintaining it. I didn't know you went for a run a few months ago Mum, but I'm the same - a run will always make me think of the 10K and of Rosie. I love that 80 of us ran it for Rosie and even more were there to cheer. Just a small sign of how loved and how missed she is - as much now as she was on that day xxx
Georgie

Previous

Return to Your first forum